Call us to set up an appointment! Herndon (703) 561-0600 Ashburn (703) 723-4040

Gentle Ashburn Chiropractic Care for Ankylosing Spondylitis

Ankylosing spondylitis. Not a common back pain condition you hear about every day, but it is a condition that is deserving of gentle, relieving treatment by a knowledgeable chiropractor like your Ashburn chiropractor at Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn. Chiropractic care of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is relieving for many such patients, and Cox® Technic is a very gentle treatment approach Ashburn ankylosing spondylitis patients appreciate.

WHAT IS ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?

Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease concerning most commonly the spine and sacroiliac joints. Early treatment when AS is active may help maintain some flexibility in the spine and lessen any resulting hyperkyphosis of the cervicothoracic spine and/or rigidity of the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and sacroiliac spine that may arise and prevent doing required activities of daily living. There are primarily two forms: active and inactive. Active is the development phase of AS while inactive is the post-development phase of AS. Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn manages both types with associated healthcare colleagues to the advantage of the AS patient.

WHAT HELPS MANAGE ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?

Teamwork and coordination is beneficial for patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Chiropractors, rheumatologists, primary care physicians, physical therapists, etc., are all key in the management of ankylosing spondylitis. The first step is recognizing ankylosing spondylitis. Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn knows the signs: back pain with more than 1 of 3 attributes (HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of sacroiliitis). 37% of ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed by a rheumatologist, and the other 63% is diagnosed by other practitioners like your Ashburn chiropractor. (1) Rheumatologists report on the benefits of a new approach to try: nanocurcumin. It is known that T-helper 17 cells appear at higher amounts in ankylosing spondylitis patients. Nanocurcumin is evolving as a new approach to contain the T-helper 17 cells as it is an anti-inflammatory compound shown to improve some clinical symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis. (2) Mixing chiropractic manipulation and rehabilitation with care of a rheumatologist is beneficial for inactive ankylosing spondylitis patients in a new study. Cox® flexion distraction was one of the chiropractic approaches to treating ankylosing spondylitis patients that helped. Patients also were instructed to do home stretches and rehabilitation exercises. They gained some relief of the symptoms, decreased pain and improved ability to do activities of daily living. (3) Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn delivers gentle, stretching Ashburn chiropractic care with Cox® Technic spinal manipulation. Ashburn AS patients say it feels good to their stiff spines. And a little good goes a long way!

CONTACT Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn

Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. Gabriel Monterrubio, a chiropractor practicing in Mexico, on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he explains his care and pain alleviating success for several ankylosing spondylitis patients - including a diver who continues diving even now – using Cox® Technic and exercise in the treatment plan.

Schedule a Ashburn chiropractic appointment at Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn for yourself or a loved one who has ankylosing spondylitis. Uncommon? Yes. Unmanageable? No. Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn is ready and able to help.

 
Poulin Chiropractic of Herndon and Ashburn uses gentle chiropractic spinal manipulation in the form of Cox Technic for ankylosing spondylitis management. 
« View All Spine Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."